Wednesday, March 4, 2009

FABRIC

Once, in another lifetime, I used to sew. Fabric was a weakness to me like shoes are a weakness to some. Last year, when we moved, I donated boxes of fabric to charity. Sad thought. Yesterday I took Asa to the St. George Library. They have mini quilts on display in the showcase.

I miss fabric. I miss sitting at my sewing machine creating dresses for Karamea and quilts for whatever. Children at my feet munching on snacks to pacify their hunger while I just kept on sewing. Sewing into the wee hours as if sleep was unimportant.

I have my father to blame for this. He insisted on Home Economics in High School. Learning to sew was absolutely essential. He didn't really care about my other classes as long as I learned how to sew. Mom didn't drive. Always supportive of my sewing class, dad and I would spend hours in the fabric store thumbing through pattern books and picking out fabric and notions. Sewing is my lost passion.


I miss that other lifetime...