Saturday, March 20, 2010

GRATITUDE

Just as Wednesday evening was coming to a close I heard the sound of screaming fire engines rushing near my house.  The boys were anxious and ran out on the back patio.  Looking to the north we saw flames reaching into the black sky and smoke billowing to the south.  They grabbed shoes and jackets to cover their PJ's and ran up the street.  I continued to watch from the patio.  It didn't take them long to return with a few details.  It was Brother Clark's house.  His microwave blew up and their home was definitely on fire.

Family prayer and a few minutes later I was brushing my teeth and getting ready for bed.  Gratitude filled my soul for the safety and comfort I felt in that moment.  "All of my children, near me and in distant lands, are safe.  In a few minutes I would be climbing into a clean bed warmed by an electric blanket.  My family would all sleep comfortably tonight.  While just around the corner, a family suffers catastrophic damage and is wondering where they will sleep tonight."  Those were my thoughts.  

My life is definitely not free of challenge, but I am truly grateful to be challenged in ways I am able to handle.