Monday, November 10, 2008

WHEN I WAS YOUNG 3


My dad was a farmer, consequently when I was growing up we had a huge garden in the back yard. I spent a good part of my summers weeding, picking beans, peas, carrots, lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, raspberries and digging for potatoes. As I weeded and picked I was visited by the spiders and worms living among the leaves and stems of these various plants. This was not a welcome visit and sometimes sent me screaming and running from the rows of vegetables.

Let me also insert here that I am not a big fan of dirt. Even to this day if I get a spot on my shirt I will almost instantly change the outfit. So picking up the potaotes as dad turned the dirt wasn't exactly a bonding moment for me...

Now that I have matured and have the memories to dwell on I can honestly say that being raised in the garden was very good for me.

Lessons Learned
::fresh is best::
::my dad is brilliant::
::spiders are really not that bad::
::worms are::
::dirt is still not good under my fingernails::
::raspberries are worth it::
::daydreams in the garden are enlightening::
::gardening is a fulfilling activity and well worth the labor::