Sunday, May 3, 2009

POLYNESIAN LOVE

If you feel connected in any way to the spirit of Polynesia then you should've been with me last night.

I stood at the entrance to the luau and took tickets. I reconnected with my extended Polynesian family - the Southern Utah Polynesian Association (SUPA). Hugs and kisses all around. My busyness with KCSG has kept me away, oh how I have missed them.

But the highlight of the evening...KAUKAHI. What an amazing performance! During the show they did a song that was first performed for Queen Victoria. One of the Aunties- unprompted - danced down the isle to the front of the auditorium and presented a hula. It was beautiful, magnificent and the most elegant hula I have ever seen. Even Kaukahi was blown away. As if that was the finale they said, "ok that's all we've got." It was breathtaking.

This prompted a hula jam. They invited other hula dancers to the stage. Random people popped up, walked up on stage and performed. Oh, it was so incredible.

Kaukahi took a break and allowed students of Polynesian dance to take the stage. They performed an evolution of Tahitian dance. Also incredible. Then Kaukahi was back on stage. They played for more than 2 hours. It was absolutely spectacular.

I am now more convinced than ever that I live in the wrong place. A member of Kaukahi says St. George is "lots of beach...no more ocean." I need the ocean and I need the Spirit of Polynesia.

Where is my island?