Monday, May 25, 2009

WHEN I WAS YOUNG

Sometimes I like to go to the Gospel Essentials class for Sunday School. This is the class where the basic principles of the gospel are taught. We think we know all there is to know but sometimes the reminder grounds us to reality. This is a pleasant place to be when I just want to focus on the essence of my testimony.

The topic of today's lesson - The Sabbath Day. As the instructor spoke I was taken back to my Sabbath Day Memories. Many lessons were learned while growing up in the Scoville house.

And I remember...

The sound of music - Mom, Moana and I singing our favorite hymns. Dad would tell me years later that he could hear us through the heating vent. And he loved the sounds.

Walking to church - it was 3 blocks to church and we lived in Calgary. The roads and sidewalks were icy and being vain children we refused to wear our boots with our Sunday best. So we would hold on to each other as we slipped and slid our way along the path.

Sunday Pictures - In the warm months of summer dad would tell us, "Don't change your clothes we're going to take pictures." And we did on many, many Sundays. Just like the pictures in the collage above.

DON'T - Change your clothes or turn on the TV.

Snowball fights - Be very careful when making your way up the sidewalk. You never know who could be hiding around the side of the house...snowball in hand...DAD!

The Sound of Music - Like Unto Us, Saturday's Warriors - I still know all the words.

Dinner with the Missionaries - "Moana made the dessert" "Lani mashed the potatoes" Really mom they're on a mission and we can find our own dates thank you very much.

The Sound of Music - Dad and his polynesian delights. Years later I would learn that some of that music was being performed by my (at the time) future mother-in-law.

Youth Firesides - Always at someones house. We took our shoes off at the door and there was always yummy treats.

I learned to love the Sabbath Day. I learned the importance of going to church on Sunday...even when I don't want to.

Today I remember the teachings of my parents and the joy I still can find in the Sabbath Day.