Monday, January 24, 2011

BEHOLD THY HANDMAID

I am captivated by the reverence of Mary.  It was the depth of her love for God which governed her life.  She was humble and submissive and willing to give all.  The Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and  greeted her by saying, "Hail, thou art highly favored, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women."  Mary, in her humility, cannot even comprehend why he is addressing her in that way.  

The angel tells Mary that she will be the mother of the Son of God and how this will be accomplished.  Mary, understanding the consequences of this act simply says, "For with God nothing shall be impossible...behold thy handmaid...be it unto me according to thy word."  

It is in the first and second chapters of Luke where we are introduced to Mary and where we learn the simple beauty of her spirit.  I want to exemplify Mary's character.  Her reverence, her solitude, her peace.  One day I will meet her and I will embrace her as the mother of my Savior and the heroin of my soul.