Monday, January 17, 2011

WOMEN OF RELIEF SOCIETY

This is a long weekend and so there were many visitors at church today.  The Relief Society room was packed with sisters.  I was scheduled to give the lesson so I was feeling quite connected to the spirit.  As I waited for the meeting to start, I sat quietly listening to the chatter of women around me.  Women speaking of their children and grandchildren and of their humanitarian projects.  

My mind wandered back to Tuesday of this past week.  I had to attend the Business and Professional Women's luncheon.  Another room full of women but with a completely different spirit.  Here the glitter of painted faces, greeting each other with compliments of outward appearance - "I love your jacket", "What a beautiful necklace".  These are women connected for networking purposes.  Furthering their personal agendas.

In contrast the LDS organization of women called Relief Society carries a motto - Charity Never Faileth.

The spirit in the room on this Sunday was peaceful and touching.  There were angels among us and they were felt.  This was a wonderful thing as I stepped to the podium to share the lesson I had prepared.  The topic today was on fasting.

I learned so much in my preparation the greatest of which is a quote from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin - "Fasting and prayer can help develop within us courage and confidence.  It can strengthen our character and build self-restraint and discipline.  Often when we fast, our righteous prayers and petitions have greater power.  Testimonies grow.  We mature spiritually and emotionally and sanctify our souls.  Each time we fast, we gain a little more control over our worldly appetites and passions." 

If this is the reward for a sincere fast then I would choose to be anxiously engaged.