Wednesday, January 21, 2009

REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE

I arrived at work and turned on the TV in my office. Major networks are carrying live coverage of the inauguration of Barrack Obama and KCSG will tune in shortly. As I listened to the morning show of Jon and Sherry on KLOVE radio this morning I was finally struck by the fact that no one seems to recognize the complete ethnicity of Barrack Obama; the blood lines that make him who he is. I guess since my children are of mixed race I am offended by the fact that the english and irish genes of his mother and the grandparents who raised him seem to be forgotten.

My children are of mixed race decent. They carry a bloodline of maori, samoan, swiss, chinese, norwegian and french. I would hope that whatever future recognition my children receive they will always remember the culture of all the ancestors who came before them. They would not be the person they are without this history. And as we all know, we must never forget who we are and where we come from.