Monday, January 12, 2009

REVITALIZE THE MIND

I was enlightened yesterday as I spent a leisurely afternoon at Barnes and Noble drinking hot chocolate and reading yoga magazines. I learned more about the value of silence and meditation, the healing benefits of ayurveda massage and more uses for essential oils.

Ayurveda Massage and Essential Oils
Thanks to the benefits of EmergenC we are a really healthy family. But recently we have had scratchy throats and sinus congestion. While reading through the yoga magazines I came across a great article about the use of essential oils and how to apply them through ayurveda massage. Tips on uses of essential oils in the winter are on the Yoga Plus website and for a really great explanation of ayurveda click here.

I've treated muscle aches and congestion with lavendar and euculyptus oil for years. Lavendar Oil got me through the raising baby years and continues to work on the muscle aches and pains of my soccer players. A few drops of euculyptus oil in boiling water works wonders to clear congestion in the chest and sinuses.

Silence and Meditation
In search of silence one man heads to a monastery in the tops of the Northern California mountains. He benefits from the connection to his inner core.

Within each of us is something changeless - call it the light of Christ, your Buddha center or your immortal existence - but we all possess a changeless spirit. Life and its ongoing chaos disable the connection to our inner core. It is in silence that we can find it. Daily meditation and silent retreats, as deemed necessary, will take us back to the foundation that makes us who we are.

Kickin' back at the Barnes and Noble Cafe was the rejuvenation I needed. There are so many great things to read. Yesterday I chose the magazines. Short articles with lots of impact. Then my cell phone rang and reality kicked in, the boys needed a ride home from the soccer arena and there was the usual mudane weekend chores to complete. I gathered my things, tossed my cup in the trash, placed the magazines back on the rack and headed to my car.