Saturday, July 25, 2009

PIONEER DAY 2009

On this morning of July 24 I wake to the realization that I have a son who has chosen to sacrifice a time of his life to serve the God he loves. My heart follows a journey of gratitude as I ponder on this, on the path of my pioneer ancestors and on the gifts I have received from the God I love.

The greatest treasure I possess is my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. To know how my spirit has existed throughout the expanse of time, and to accept and to feel the peace of that knowledge. Referring to the gifts from God as recorded in Moroni 10 of the Book of Mormon, I recognize that I have been 'gifted' with wisdom, knowledge, faith and more. I am blessed with 6 incredible children who live close to God and walk with angels everyday. I am constantly aware of the peace that exists in their souls and their dedication to their Father in Heaven.

I think of the family I was blessed to exist with in my younger years and the connection we continue to possess. The dedication of my parents and their desire to raise their children to know the gospel is a beautiful concept. There is complete joy in the memories.

To my pioneer ancestors - O what joy fills my soul. Reading their history and understanding their sacrifices is a privilege. Every generation experiences trials and challenges. The trials of the early members of the church are humbling and exhilarating. I commit to them my spirit and continue in my journey because of their firm dedication under duress circumstances.

This morning is quiet, the view is serene and I feel the presence of angels. It is with deep love that I willingly send my son into the world to teach this message of joy. It is my hope that he will go with angels by his side and that he will accomplish his destiny.

This I know -

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints embraces all truth. It is lead by a living Prophet who carries the keys of the Priesthood and is the only living person who has the authority to receive modern revelation as it pertains to the children of God on the earth today. Jesus Christ atoned for our sins making it possible for us to receive forgiveness for our sins as we repent and humble ourselves before Him. It is because of His atonement that we will be reunited with family and friends and our Savior throughout all time and eternity. The gospel, as it was restored to the earth by Joseph Smith, is the way to eternal happiness. Exercising faith and believing in its principles, standing as a witness of God at all times will bring internal joy and peace as we experience the gift of life.