Wednesday, January 20, 2010

MISS THIS

A long time ago in another lifetime I was a seamstress.  I stitched matching dresses for Karamea and I to wear to church and other special occasions.  I created window coverings, quilts, quiet books, pajamas, cute little heart garlands, Christmas ornaments and so on.  I miss those days.  I miss strolling through endless isles of fabric bolts, glancing through pattern books, piecing quilts and watching an outfit come together one stitch at a time.

I have my dad to thank for my sewing obsession.  Way back when I was fourteen ,in the days when they actually had funding to teach great things in school, dad made sure sewing was on my class list.  Grade nine through grade twelve, I took sewing.

It was about 5:00 this evening when I was just finishing up at work, Hamilton called.  "Mom, I need a flag for my school project."  My reply, "great, when do you need it by."  The shocking response from a very quiet voice on the other end of the phone, "tomorrow."  

Ummm, thanks to months of meditation I was able to keep my thoughts to myself and calmly say, "okay I'll work on that after I start dinner and laundry."  Thirty minutes later I was on the way home from work but not until I stopped to pick up Asa from basketball practice.

While preparing dinner Hamilton and Ammon searched for some old clothes I could use to cut and create a flag.  Dinner is over, laundry is in the process, the flag is complete.

And I miss being a mom.