Monday, January 11, 2010

WHITE TARA - GODDESS OF COMPASSION



The captivating artwork of Romio Shrestha is compiled in the book, Celestial Gallery.  I found this book at Barnes and Noble and purchased two copies.  One for Karamea and one for me.  The forward written by Depak Chopra says that, "as we gaze upon these extraordinary paintings, we are transported into the innermost reaches of the psyche - a place in which anything is possible.  Contemplating these divine forms prepares us for a richer life.

Saturday morning I woke before everyone, as I always do.  It was cold.  I fed Sammie, put him outside then climbed back under my electric blanket.  Celestial Gallery sat on the night table next to my bed so I picked it up.  A few pages in I came upon the beautiful depiction of White Tara.


White Tara is the Goddess of Compassion.  I am intrigued by the fact that she has seven eyes.  Besides those placed normally on her face there is one on each palm, one on the sole of each foot and one inverted on her foreward to look inward. 

Ian A Baker describes the qualities of White Tara -

"The qualities of Whate Tara are ultimately inseparable from our own.  Her loving kindness reflects an innate altruism that arises spontaneously from recognizing our oneness with all creation.  If we see through to Tara's essence, she frees us from self-serving thoughts and encourages us to act selflessly, and wisely, for the benefit of all beings."

With every reflective moment of my Saturday I was drawn back to this painting and to it's meaning.  This awakened my senses. 

"OPEN SEVEN EYES, like Tara, and be sure that everything you do, every step you take, every thought you think, is fueled by compassion.  You will then be inseparable from White Tara, the embodiment of pure love." - Romio Shrestha