Monday, June 22, 2009

ON FATHERS DAY

Fathers Day and I am thinking of my dad. As a young daughter of 16 he hired me as his secretary. Dad was a successful Life Insurance Salesman. We traveled Southern Alberta listening to motivational tapes from conventions he had attended. I graduated from the Keith Scoville School of Self Taught. I believe it was from these experiences that I learned Public Relations.

Dad loved horses and all things country. The first Friday in July and for 10 days we lived for the Calgary Stampede. Dad worked the cowboy entrance and we hung out with the cowboys. Chuckwagon Races, Bull Riding, Rodeos and the Young Canadians. Midnight fireworks...cause that's when it gets dark in Calgary.

Dad was a farmer. I spent lots of summers in the garden picking raspberries, peas, carrots, beans...there were spiders in the beans. Dad turned the dirt and we picked up the potatoes. Flowers - he planted petunias all around the front steps. We picked peony's in June and gave them to our teachers as a year end thank you.

Summer trips to Raymond, Cardston, Shuswap Lake. Winter trips to Banff and Radium Hot Springs.

When I was young I felt his testimony and gained a love for the scriptures. He taught me the value of work and perseverance. Now he is 85. All that I am, I am because Keith Scoville is my dad.