Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 22 - Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving in Canada is in October...actually on the day Americans take a day off to celebrate Columbus Day. Not really that Columbus should be celebrated, but it's a holiday and a day off. Thanksgiving was a time to eat good food. While some of Grandpa's family lived within driving distance we didn't get together with them. I don't really remember Thanksgiving being about family. But it was about food. Grandma always made a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Sometimes we had the missionaries over and back then they could stay all day if that wanted.

Surfing the waves of my brain there is an image of me standing outside on the street in front of my house. I am looking down the road at the leaves floating from the trees and dancing on the ground. I remember feeling a deep sense of gratitude for the beauty around me and thinking that while I'm standing out here in the beauty of nature, my mom is in the kitchen making dinner. I think I will go help her so she can come out and see the beauty too.

In the past thirty years of marriage I have wonderful Thanksgiving memories. Gatherings of Scoville's, gatherings of Puriri's in so many of the houses where we've lived. Adventures in the Valley of Fire, Kolob, Snow Canyon, Zion National Park and today at Vernon Worthen Park.

Family is a joy and thanksgiving is just one more opportunity for us to be together.