Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 27 - God vs Science

Nietzsche was a philosopher who believed that science killed God. His writings create the notion that as technology has progressed human nature has come to rely on science in such a way that God has become obsolete. When I studied this philosophy and listened to my instructor I journaled this -


Today Professor LaTurner presented a few examples to prove Nietzsche's theory that we believe in science before we believe in God. His first example was a parent of a sick child and do parents call the doctor or pray first? My thoughts drifted to Ammon and the first thing I did when I heard of his accident. An excerpt from a previous writing…
          This was the memory foremost in my mind when my cell phone rang. The familiar ring and the picture ID triggered my mind to believe that Ammon was calling. “Hello Ammon,” I answered.  The unfamiliar voice that spoke into my ear said, “This is not Ammon. This is Matt. I’m with your son at the Flagstaff Medical Center. He was in a boating accident. The medical team is stabilizing him for surgery.” I ran through the information in my mind and then replied, “No, Ammon is at Lake Powell with friends....not in Flagstaff with a medical team.”
Trying to convince a mother who was about to lose all track of reality, Matt explained, “Ammon was in a boating accident. He was run over by a boat and the propeller caught his lower right leg. He lost a lot of blood and his injury is very serious. The medical team is preparing him for surgery. They’re going to try and save his leg.”
          With deep concern for my son I asked, “Who is with him and how did he get to Flagstaff?”
“By helicopter. We life lighted him, ”Matt said, and then went on to explain that the helicopter was small and there was only room for the medical personal and the patient. Ammon was alone in a world he did not know.
I think that at this point I was speechless. Matt asked me if I had any other questions or concerns. I explained that we were LDS and wanted to know if it were possible for Ammon to receive a Priesthood Blessing before he went in for surgery. Matt replied that he was LDS and could do that. The pilot of the helicopter was also LDS and he would check with him to see if he could assist. Miracle number one had just occurred. Ammon was being watched over by angels.
As Professor LaTurner continues with his examples I am very aware that the first thing I did when I heard of Ammon’s accident was turn to God. As much as he needed the surgery, he also needed the constant care of God.
Today I came away from class recognizing that science cannot exist without God and God cannot exist without science. Neither can exist without the other. There are many things in life that come in pairs. Parents for example, every child has two, a mom and a dad. A child cannot be created without a male and female. One provides the egg while the other provides the sperm. Without both the embryo cannot be formed. 
          Then there is the question, which came first, God or science? This reminds me of the question, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Life is a never-ending circle. There is no beginning and there is no end. This is something Nietzsche did not express in is writing.
I study chakra’s and the effect they have on the body. The explanation of Nietzsche’s illness has me concluding that his health issues were caused by the constant war that raged within him. Issues of the stomach and then later a diagnosis of mental illness; I can conclude that the sacral, solar plexis, third eye and crown chakra’s were continually out of balance and the cause of disease beyond repair.
Nietzsche could not accept Christ and therefore could not even fathom the existence of the light of Christ that dwells in every living thing. The chakra’s spin this rainbow of light throughout the body; keeping us filled with the energy of the love and light of Jesus Christ. Without this energy our spirits would be very dark and alone. Nietzsche’s natural humanness fought against his spirit until his life came to an end. When I die I would like to find Nietzsche and find out what he thinks now.