Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 5 - Veteran's of War

DOCUTAH and the St. George Vet Center are screening a film this weekend called Souvenirs: Healing After the War. We met yesterday to discuss the logistics of the event. I walked into a room full of war veterans and did not expect to be enlightened the way that I was.

I was surrounded by six people who had experienced combat duty in either Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan. The person leading the discussion opened up the conversation and then everyone just spoke freely. At first I just listened but then I realized that I was emotionally impacted by the things that were being said and so I picked up my pen and began to write.

"The whole world seems uncommitted."
"No one wants to take charge."
"When you see something that needs doing...just get it done. Who cares if it doesn't fall into your job description."
"There is so much chaos and disorder. I would rather be there than home."
"I guess I assume to know what other people are thinking about me...I don't fit in...that guy is attacking me."
"I have no patience for anything."
"We had to hate bad enough to make the fight personal. It wasn't about fighting for the country it was about fighting for the guy next to me."
"I am no more alive in my life. If my life isn't on the line then it's not worth living."

At one point in the conversation one of the men turned to me and said, "As a civilian, and I don't mean to offend you, but as a civilian, what questions would you ask."

First of all, I didn't know I was supposed to be offended because I was a civilian. Then I explained to the group that as a civilian I don't know the questions to ask. Given the opportunity I would simply open the conversation with "tell me your story" and then just sit and listen. I haven't experienced what you've experienced so I don't even know what questions to ask. 

While we were supposed to be planning the logistics of the event I walked away enlightened, educated and renewed. The lesson here is to open your heart, mind and soul and be ready for every opportunity to light up your world. See the good and while you feel the pain recognize the joy. 

God is in all things.